[linux-cifs-client] Re: Incorrect FIND_NEXT2 transmission causing

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Mon May 3 16:10:57 GMT 2004

> is:
>FILE_DIRECTORY_INFO->FileName
>FILE_UNIX_INFO->FileName
>
>meant to be ASCII or UNICODE?

They can be either.  For Samba 3 or later, or Windows 2000 or later you
will usually see the server negotiate Unicode with cifs vfs (since cifs vfs
supports unicode).    The particular smb/cifs network request specifies
unicode (instead of the old default ASCII) by a flag in the protocol header
(SMB_FLAGS2 I think).  Unless you are going to Samba 2, I think it more
likely that it is Unicode

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com