[linux-cifs-client] cifs module not being used...?

Andreas andreas at conectiva.com.br
Mon May 3 13:58:18 GMT 2004

[root at dhcp190 root]# mount //win2k3/data -t cifs -o user=administrator /mnt/smbfs
cli_negprot: SMB signing is mandatory and we have disabled it.
18393: protocol negotiation failed
SMB connection failed
[root at dhcp190 root]# lsmod|grep cifs
[root at dhcp190 root]#

This is kernel 2.6.5 with the cifs module that came with it. Any idea why
the cifs module is not being used? It doesn't matter if I load it before
the mount command or not, it seems to always use smbfs instead.

mount.cifs is from samba 3.0.3, and the server is a win 2003 + all patches up
to last friday.

smbclient works fine, even with kerberos (-k).