[linux-cifs-client] cifs 1.13 in

Steve French smfrench at austin.rr.com
Sun May 2 19:13:40 GMT 2004

cifs 1.13, quite current, is now in Linus's 2.6.6 rc tree.   Although
the fix to avoid multiple setattrs (on open and create both in some
cases) it makes one multiple chmod permission change case to Windows
slightly worse, although it fixed others and am close to a solution for
all cases.   Windows server is tricky for chmod since it does not have a
place to put the mode (except EAs which I don't use - yet - although I
plan to) - so I cache them on the client (based on initial values
specified on the mount and inferred from the setting of the DOS +r
attribute flag) which mostly works but was broken in a key case.

There is still a problem, noted earlier, with populating the pagecache
when pages are first touched with partial midpage writes especially with
files open writeonly but I only hit that with one  subtest of the
connectathon -g ("general") subsection (POSIX api test).  I know a few
changes that together will fix this (basically going to writethrough
mode when the page can not be read from the server) but have not checked
that in yet until I am satisfied that changes to how the inode is opened
won't break (opening a file for write in which case readcaching won't
work making us avoid writepage -, then opening it a second time later
for r/w - which would now allow read caching - and then closing the
second open - which would now prevent read caching again)