[linux-cifs-client] CIFS mount works when I specify IP address, butnotwhen I only specify hostname

BJ Quinn bj at placs.net
Tue Mar 9 19:29:25 GMT 2004

> That tcp name does look wrong (with the embedded slash between mycomputer
> and c) but it would be useful to know what the syntax was that you used on
> the mount

The command I am running is

mount -t cifs //mycomputer/c /netmnt/mycomputer/c -o
user=administrator,password=password

(names like mycomputer and password have been changed - but the point is
that it doesn't matter what I put for those, whether the path exists or
not.  Basically, what I'm trying to do is use the same syntax I used with
smbfs, with the obvious exception of doing a -t cifs insead of a -t smbfs.
 Why wouldn't that work?  I've tried adding the domain=myworkgroup option
too (I am in a workgroup though, not a domain), and that hasn't seemed to
help.

-BJ

P.S.  You haven't lived in the Dallas area at one point have you?