[linux-cifs-client] cifs vs smbfs are parameters different

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Tue Mar 9 17:46:53 GMT 2004

I would expect that options of
        username
and
        password
would work the same on both but I need to check what happens when the ""
is specified after the password.   That might get parsed incorrectly by
mount.cifs (I don't know).   The actual parms passed to the kernel mount
code that parses those mount options can be viewed in the dmesg log by
turning on cifsFYI in some of the older versions of the code (including
the Fedora one I believe).   The only exception might be embedded commas -
I think that double commas may be allowed as an escape for commas in the
password - which might not work for smbfs

Not sure what the mount flags of 0 0 resolve to when automounter gets
around to calling mount.cifs (I don't typically use that any more)

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com

Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com>
Sent by: linux-cifs-client-bounces+sfrench=us.ibm.com at lists.samba.org
03/08/2004 02:51 PM

linux-cifs-client at lists.samba.org
cc

Subject
[linux-cifs-client] cifs vs smbfs are parameters different

This info was posted in a previous message:

But here I'm asking if the parameters for cifs and smbfs shown below
should work the same for either protocol.   Should the cifs mount
tested below have the same characteristics as the smbfs mount?

-----------------------
Kernel (Fedora testing) 2.6.3-1.118custom
 [ `Custom' in that smbfs is turned on ]
samba-3.0.2a-1
mount.cifs 1.1 (not used in mount actions below)

parameters listed in /etc/fstab"

//exp-xp/J-ahn-d  /mnt/J-ahn-d  cifs   username=reader,password=""   0 0
# //exp-xp/J-ahn-d  /mnt/J-ahn-d    smbfs   username=reader,password="" 0
0

For testing I comment one and use the other ...test then reverse.

The windows box is 2003 xp pro
`cacls' on the winbox isn't available for this since it is fat 32
Smbcacls shows:
   # smbcacls //exp-xp/J-ahn-d download
  Password:
  REVISION:1
  OWNER:\Everyone
  GROUP:\Everyone

What I see here is mounting smbfs allows write and cifs does
not. (using the parameters above)

(with smbfs uncommented)
1)  mount /mnt/J-ahn-d
    <no feedback>

2)  mount:
   [...]
   /dev/hdb3 on /arch type ext3 (rw)
   /dev/hdb10 on /var/www type ext3 (rw)
   //exp-xp/J-ahn-d on /mnt/J-ahn-d type smbfs (0)

3)  touch touch /mnt/J-ahn-d/file
    <no feedback>

4)  rm /mnt/J-ahn-d/file
    rm: remove regular empty file `/mnt/J-ahn-d/file'? y
    <no feedback>

5)  umount /mnt/J-ahn-d

========================
edit /etc/fstab so the cifs line is uncommented.

echo 1 > /proc/fs/cifs/cifsFYI
 ( oops .. where does the debug info go... for reading
   nothing appears in syslog (except when smbfs is a parameter)

1) mount /mnt/J-ahn-d
   <no feedback>

2) mount:
  /dev/hdb3 on /arch type ext3 (rw)
  /dev/hdb10 on /var/www type ext3 (rw)
  //exp-xp/J-ahn-d on /mnt/J-ahn-d type cifs (0)

3)  touch touch /mnt/J-ahn-d/file
    touch: cannot touch `/mnt/J-ahn-d/file': Permission denied