[linux-cifs-client] CIFS mount works when I specify IP address, but not when I only specify hostname

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Mon Mar 8 19:16:56 GMT 2004

The mount helper, mount.cifs, (which parses hostnames to ip address) was
missing from some versions of Fedora.   It is available from the project
page:

http://us1.samba.org/samba/Linux_CIFS_client.html

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com

"BJ Quinn" <bj at placs.net>
Sent by: linux-cifs-client-bounces+sfrench=us.ibm.com at lists.samba.org
03/08/2004 11:37 AM
Please respond to
bj

linux-cifs-client at lists.samba.org
cc

Subject
[linux-cifs-client] CIFS mount works when I specify IP address, but not
when I only specify hostname

Got a weird problem, wonder if you guys could help out.

I just installed Fedora Core 2 Test 1, and they've decided to disable
SMBFS and use CIFS by default.  I had been using SMB mount, but I decided
to give mount.cifs a shot.  When I run the following command :

# mount -t cifs //computername/c /netmnt/computername/c -o
user=administrator,password=password,domain=workgroupname

I get the following error:

CIFS VFS: Error connecting to IPv4 socket.  Aborting operation
CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -111
mount:connection refused

However, when I run this command :

# mount -t cifs //ipaddress/c /netmnt/computername/c -o
user=administrator,password=password,domain=workgroupname

It works.  Of course, we're using DHCP, so hard-coding IP addresses in
scripts is not going to work.  I refuse to believe that CIFS won't work by
hostname, whereas SMBFS did!  Am I doing something wrong along the lines
of telling it my workgroup?  I am in a workgroup, not a domain.

Any help would be appreciated!!

-BJ Quinn