[linux-cifs-client] CIFS mount works when I specify IP address, but not when I only specify hostname

BJ Quinn bj at placs.net
Mon Mar 8 17:37:06 GMT 2004

Got a weird problem, wonder if you guys could help out.

I just installed Fedora Core 2 Test 1, and they've decided to disable
SMBFS and use CIFS by default.  I had been using SMB mount, but I decided
to give mount.cifs a shot.  When I run the following command :

# mount -t cifs //computername/c /netmnt/computername/c -o
user=administrator,password=password,domain=workgroupname

I get the following error:

CIFS VFS: Error connecting to IPv4 socket.  Aborting operation
CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -111
mount:connection refused

However, when I run this command :

# mount -t cifs //ipaddress/c /netmnt/computername/c -o
user=administrator,password=password,domain=workgroupname

It works.  Of course, we're using DHCP, so hard-coding IP addresses in
scripts is not going to work.  I refuse to believe that CIFS won't work by
hostname, whereas SMBFS did!  Am I doing something wrong along the lines
of telling it my workgroup?  I am in a workgroup, not a domain.

Any help would be appreciated!!

-BJ Quinn