[linux-cifs-client] Re: du reports wrong directory sizes on kernel 2.6(.1rc2) and cifs 0.9.4

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Thu Jun 17 16:58:14 GMT 2004

Yes - I fixed that one weeks ago although I found it amusing that most
every filesystem at one time or other has made the same mistake - assuming
that blocksize should be used in calculating number of blocks used :) but
du requires that you calculate based on 512 byte blocks no matter what the
reported blocksize is - very weird.

I also fixed various other bugs reported on the list, but I don't always
remember to send notification to the list when they are fixed.   I do
appreciate when people report these well defined problems though, the cifs
code has made leaps forward in the last few months due to the reports on
the list and via e-mail like this, sometimes with attached patch
suggestions (and also the heavy 2.6 stress testing going that the IBM test
labs has been doing recently has been helping).

This will be much, much, much easier when cifs passes the whole set of
standard filesystem tests which needless to say can be hard for a
non-local filesystem much less an SMB/CIFS based protocol to service from
Linux due to little quirks of POSIX file API :)   but this is huge
progress and I am getting much more satisfied, and plan to take the
"experimental" tag off the filesystem in Linux KConfig

Right now cifs seems to do quite well on:
1) fsx
2) connectathon "nfs" (posix file api) basic and general tests
3) almost completes the connectathon special and lock tests (this is where
some of the hardest Windows -> POSIX mappings are)
4) fsstress works under light to medium stress
5) iozone and dbench and the performance centric tests that I have tried
seem to work well

There are still half a dozen file system tests in the LTP which have not
been traditionally tried on network filesystems, but which I would like to
try on cifs as I get time so I can use the whole LTP file system test
subsystem as a weekly regression suite and expand the verification to
other server types (I would love to package a subset of ltp file tests
that would autorun over cifs via a bootable knoppix iso image so server
people could test their Linux network compatability eaiser).    I think
the easier it is to run these regression tests - with no special windows
compensations that the user has to care about .     jra in the Samba team
has been looking at minor Samba changes when it sees the new cifs "posix"
dialect which will also be a big help.

Finishing the last 1/2 of the xattr support and directory notification
should be the next new features, although the spnego/kerberos ioctl should
not be long behind.

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com

Michael Pflüger <empx at gmx.de>
Sent by: linux-cifs-client-bounces+sfrench=us.ibm.com at lists.samba.org
06/17/2004 10:01 AM

linux-cifs-client at lists.samba.org
cc

Subject
[linux-cifs-client] Re: du reports wrong directory sizes on kernel
2.6(.1rc2) and cifs 0.9.4

The issue seems to be fixed now as of Kernel 2.6.7 from the cifs BK tree.
I think the fix happened between now and the 2.6.6 release.

Great work :)

Michael