[linux-cifs-client] fstab: conflicts with "user" option

Steve French smfltc at us.ibm.com
Mon Jun 7 22:28:10 GMT 2004

> There seems to be a conflict between the "user" option to mount.cifs
> and the regular /etc/fstab "user" option which is used to specify that

I thought I fixed that in the mount.cifs.c code a month or so ago.

If you are using mount.cifs version 1.3 or later I think you would have
this fix. Type
	/sbin/mount.cifs -V
to display the cifs mount helper's version number.  If you are not using
it a reasonably current mount helper is in
	http://us1.samba.org/samba/ftp/cifs-cvs/mount.cifs.c
(gcc mount.cifs.c and move it to /sbin/mount.cifs). The most current is
kept in samba svn in branch SAMBA_3_0

If you are running mount with the verbose flag on ( you would see
     "skipping empty user mount parameter"
e.g.
     mount -t cifs //server/share /mnt -v -o user,username=foo
works

If we parse and find the empty "user" mount option (which means mount as
a user rather than null user name) it is ignored.