[linux-cifs-client] CIFS on Debian Stable

Agostino Russo arusso at aequilibrium.com
Wed Jul 21 12:17:19 GMT 2004

Hi All,

I am trying to get Cifs to work on Debian stable (possibly without
ending up into testing/unstable).

CURRENT SITUATION:

I get the following error with mount.cifs apparently requiring a newer
libc version (I am on libc6 2.2.5-11.5).

deb:penguin:~# mount.cifs
mount.cifs: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3' not found (required by
mount.cifs)

WHAT I DID SO FAR:

I added the following backport sources to my /etc/apt/sources.list

#BACKPORTS
deb http://www.backports.org/debian stable samba
deb http://www.backports.org/debian stable kernel-2.6
deb http://www.backports.org/debian stable util-linux

Using which I installed kernel 2.6.6 (which I understand includes CIFS
support), samba 3.0.4, mount 2.12-4, and misc...

I then copied mount.cifs from
http://www.samba.org/samba/ftp/cifs-cvs/mount.cifs into /sbin and
chmodded to 700

WHAT TO DO NOW ????

I believe (I might be wrong though) that backporting libc might not be a
good idea considering the number of packages that depend on it... What
do you suggest?

Thanks