[linux-cifs-client] Crashbug in DFS mount

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Wed Jul 7 14:49:16 GMT 2004

> I need CIFS to be able to mount a DFS share. I succeeded
> to mount it but when I tried to follow the redirections
> I got a message similar to "could not follow symbolic link"

CIFS needs minor changes to follow a DFS referral (it gets the referral
information from the server but does not issue the implicit mount).

Basically I need to add a helper daemon that can call a new kernel file
fs/cifs/ioctl.c file.  A userspace helper daemon would be required in order
to handle the resolution of hostnames (since that can not be done in
kernel) in dfs referrals (at least those referrals that are not ip
addresses).   I have some code I have been testing for this, but since
ioctls are painful to do perfectly (e.g. mixed address pointer conversion)
I have not checked it in yet into the project tree.

I will take a look and see if I can reproduce the exception.

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com