[linux-cifs-client] Re: Unable to create new file on windows 2000

Matt Seitz seitz at metadata-systems.com
Fri Jan 30 16:53:08 GMT 2004

Ian wrote:
> I forgot to mention in my previous mail that the output from smbcacls is
> the same whether full control is set on or off on the network share.

Keep in mind, there are two sets of permissions that can affect how clients can
use a shared file or directory:

1.  CIFS permissions
2.  File system permissions

In order for a CIFS client to do something, it must be allowed by both the CIFS
permissions and the file system permissions.

The "smbcacls" utility appears to display only the file system permissions.  If
you change the CIFS permissions, it will have no effect on what "smbcacls"
displays.  Unfortunately, I don't know of a command line utility to display the
CIFS permissions.