[linux-cifs-client] Re: Unable to create new file on windows 2000

Steve French smfltc at us.ibm.com
Thu Jan 29 18:38:38 GMT 2004

What you describe is a little unusual but it does seem to be possible to
set Windows ACLs on the server side to behave as you describe.  To make
sure you have described the ACL on that directory exactly - could you
append the output of the Windows tool "cacls" run on that directory (or
the Samba utility "smbcacls" if it could be remotely against that UNC
name).

I do remember fixing a client bug (unique to 2.4 implementation of cifs
vfs, not present in the 2.6 version) that was temporarily introduced in
the file create path (when a 2.6 fix was backported) that for one
version of fs/cifs/file.c caused the wrong CIFS open flags to be set
(file creation in Linux is complicated since it is not an atomic
operation and at least in 2.4 involves about 8 distinct operations).
This bug is not present in the current cifs code, and is probably not
what you were running into.