[linux-cifs-client] mount -t cifs : when try to cp, system hangs up

breno.moiana at partekforest.com breno.moiana at partekforest.com
Thu Jan 29 19:26:20 GMT 2004

I am troubleshooting an issue with smbfs and special characters (ã and Ã
(atilde)) , to be more specific, and ewas told to try CIFS.
I downloaded the source, patched a 2.4.22 Debian kernel (Debian Sarge system),
compiled CIFS into it, everything worked fine.
But then I mount the remote filesystem with the command:

mount -t cifs -o username=user,password=pass,ro //server/share /destdir

when I try to copy *any* file (small files also), I get nothing on the console
after my [ENTER] to execute the cp, and the entire system hangs up,. requiring
then a physical reboot. Not even other terminals respond, the machine can't be
ssh'd into, well, it operates in brick-mode.

I am using Debian Sarge, the debian source for 2.4.22 kernel, and CIFS 0.9.9a

Any ideas?

Breno Moiana
"Science is organized knowledge. Wisdom is organized life."

"Ciência é conhecimento organizado. Sabedoria é vida organizada."
    -- Immanuel Kant