[linux-cifs-client] Re: CIFS with Active Directory (windows 2003 server)

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Wed Jan 28 18:22:03 GMT 2004

> What can I do to mount a share located on a
> windows Server 2003 using Active Directory.

This should not be any different than mounting to Windows 2000 or XP, as
long as cifs signing is enabled. Windows 2003 when in an ActiveDirectory
domain appears to require signing which I added to the cifs vfs many
months ago.  Check the value of /proc/fs/cifs/PacketSigningEnabled to make
sure that it is set to 1, and check the version number of the cifs vfs
(which is visible in the file fs/cifs/CHANGES).

Also note that with Windows 2003 more administrators may be disabling NTLM
authentication (and requiring NTLMv2 or Kerberos) which restricts
interoperability with a number of clients.  In the cifs vfs client NTLMv2
support is disabled by default (/proc/fs/cifs/NTLMV2Enabled is set to
zero) since no one has debugged through what I believe are minor problems
in the NTLMv2 password hashing in fs/cifs/cifsencrypt.c

To analyze this it would be helpful to know the version number of the
client.  If it is a 2.6 kernel that is easy (cat /proc/version), but with
2.4 since the cifs vfs is added in by the distribution it can var so you
need to check the file fs/cifs/CHANGES

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com