[linux-cifs-client] truncated searches

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Mon Jan 26 16:42:19 GMT 2004

In testing last night of version 1.0.1 cifs vfs on 2.4, I uncovered a
problem with the cifs vfs client listing only the beginning (first 50 or
so) files in a directory. This only happens when the server supports
Unicode (such as Samba 3.0 or later or Windows 2000) and when there is an
error in saving the directory entry off (kernel routine filldir).  I
narrowed this down to reset_resume_key which resets the original resume
key (which is saved in Unicode when the server supports Unicode) from the
FindFirst request and sets it to an ASCII resume key (it should be saved
as Unicode in this case).   This occurs when there is an error on filldir
so it may not be a frequent error.

I will work on coding up a fix today, unfortunately it could make the
calling routing (which does the readdir processing and calls FindFirst and
FindNext) even longer than it already is since there are at least four
cases in which cifs_filldir / cifs_fildir_unix is invoked.   Stylistically
this is the kind of routine I don't like - a little too long and therefore
harder to read than it should be - but I did not see an obvious
restructuring of the code.

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com