[linux-cifs-client] Re: Bug in 2.6.1 kernel

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Wed Jan 21 20:21:13 GMT 2004

> I have upgraded to the latest pre-packaged 2.6.1 kernel
> by Arjan van de Ven.  2.6.1-1-138 and it still gives me a segfault.

Charles,
I missed something important in your earlier note, where you mentioned the
server was NT4.   NT4 is not a supported server target yet for the cifs vfs
(due to NT4's lack of support for cifs over "native TCP") and the problem
that you noted in the session negotiation error path that caused the oops
in the cifs vfs code had already been fixed in the development tree for the
cifs vfs (bk://cifs.bkbits.net/linux-2.5) but is not included in the 2.6.1
kernel (at least the stock kernel on kernel.org and Linus's bitkeeper
tree).   I plan on pushing the changesets which include this fix to Andrew
Morton and Linus  later in the week.

Unfortunately fixing the oops in the error path would not likely help you
(since your server is not a more recent one that supports "native TCP" such
as Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 2003, Samba, NetApp etc.)  although
the changes to support the RFC 1001 Netbios session protocol in the cifs
vfs would be modest and are planned in the long run.

The smbclient utility (which has an ftp like mode that works fine to NT4)
included with the standard Samba client utility package is another option
for you to use for the NT4 to Linux file migration, as would the java
client (jcifs.samba.org) - if there are problems with smbfs that preclude
its use on that kernel.

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com