[linux-cifs-client] Re: cifs mounts but no read/write

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Fri Feb 27 20:37:19 GMT 2004

> I'm mounting shares on a win-XP (pro) machine but am not able to
> write to them.

> I'm running fedora FC2 test1 software for the most part and a stock
> (redhat) kernel kernel-2.6.3-1.97

I  checked the source and found that when authenticated as a guest  the
text"Guest login" will get logged by the cifs session setup to the kernel message log
(dmesg) but only when cifs debugging is enabled  (echo 1 >
/proc/fs/cifs/cifsFYI) but this is unlikely to be the problem given the id
that you are using and the output from the "net session" command on the
server.

It is plausible that authenticating as guest could prevent write access to
a share that is mountable from the client, but I am also wondering about
whether it might be fixed by the change I made in changeset 1.1445 in the
cifs development tree about four weeks ago (which is in the 1.04 version
of the cifs vfs on the project page but not yet merged into the official
2.6.3 Linux kernel).

http://cifs.bkbits.net:8080/linux-2.5cifs/cset@1.1445?nav=index.html|ChangeSet@-4w

Relax requested CIFS permissions on open to simply request GENERIC_READ and GENERIC_WRITE (instead of GENERIC_ALL which
can unnecessarily conflict with share permissions by asking implicitly for take ownership and other unneeded flags)

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com