[linux-cifs-client] Anyone can write to cifs mounted Samba share !?

Przemyslaw Tokarski tokarski at zpk.u.lodz.pl
Thu Dec 16 14:37:28 GMT 2004

Hello !!

 I mounted a share from the Samba sever via CIFS and was struck by one
peculiar thing. Once the share is mounted any unprivileged uid can write
to it. Steps that I followed:

 1. (as root) mount -t cifs -o username=user_1,password=user_1_password
//sc/homes /local/mountpoint
 2. (as user_2) cd /local/mountpoint; mkdir aaa (succeded).
 3. Resulting mounted share as it appears on the local filesystem:

 drwx------  3 user_1 Domain Users  4096 Dec 16 10:44 /local/mountpoint

The underlying directory on which the cifs filesystem had been mounted is
owned by user 'root' and group 'root' and has a mode of 755.  I
Double-checked that users 'user_1' and 'user_2' have different uids, however
both users belong to the same group: 'Domain Users'. 'unix extensions' are
enabled on the Samba server. I use Samba version 3.0.7 + LDAP on Red Hat 9
(both client and server), kernel version 2.4.20-31.9 (from Red Hat
updates), cifs version is 1.20c.

Has anyone experienced such a behaviour ? - please let me know. Any
suggestions will be appreciated and I will summarize !!

Best regards
Przemyslaw Tokarski
Lodz, Poland