[linux-cifs-client] Re: problems with cifs

Gorazd Golob gorazdg at noviforum.si
Thu Dec 9 21:33:47 GMT 2004

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Steven French wrote:

> Strange ... the debug log that you sent shows no - zero - pending
> requests, but the session disconnected.
>
> What I would do at this point is confirm (with the tool netstat e.g.) that
> the tcp session to port 445 or 139 is in state connected (established?, I
> forget the exact name that it is displayed as in netstat) - and that run a
> quick network trace (also turn on /proc/fs/cifs/cifsFYI to 1), then do a
> single cd command, stop the trace, turn off cifsFYI,   then kill the cd
> command then send the hopefullly small dmesg (ie of just the single cd
> command which is hanging trying to reestablish a session presumably) and
> send the small network trace.
Problem is that happens after ~50gb data already transfered and always
found it in "hang" state after time. I can check netstat and similar. I
can also try to fetch all packets between hosts .. that could also be
interesting? Thats a lot of data.

I will try to do as you wrote there..

> FYI - Also find the problem with cifs_dir_notify - the fcntl for change
> notify was incorrectly changed from its default of off by another kernel
> change (outside cifs) - so cifs_dir_notify has some problems which I am
> fixing but it should be off by default - so the references to
> cifs_dir_notify in fs/cifs/cifsfs.c (in the file ops) should be removed
> which I am doing (actually putting within the config_cifs_experimental or
> making enabling it a mount option).   Also noticed that Samba 3 and 4 seem
> to have incorrect flags in their header for the notify "filter" (although
> ok for the events themselves)
Ok.. I have same problems with reading data from XP professional..
connections also hang. I'll try to do tests on both of samba 3.0.7 and
3.0.9 and XP (2003 or w2k can also do). First plan is testing on samba and
xp.

gorazd