[linux-cifs-client] Re: problems with cifs

Steve French smfltc at us.ibm.com
Thu Dec 9 16:55:39 GMT 2004

Forgot to ask (it may be obvious from one of your earlier posts but I am
not certain).

You said that this is much improved but that mount locks from one
process (can not chdir etc.) but they start working when another proc
accesses it -

Could you verify which ops are pending - when the process is not working
(no chdir etc.) - by looking at /proc/fs/cifs/DebugData checking whether
that process has a pending request (mid) and let me know what command it
is and the total number of pending requests are at that moment.  I want
to know which operation is hung (if any) - and if it is as simple as
somehow chdir does not cause network traffic because it calls
lookup/revalidate/getattr and still "remembers" the -ENOENT or -EIO
until the revalidate cache time expires (I think you can disable inode
metadata caching via /proc/fs/cifs - and force revalidate on all lookups
if that is the case - so I am wondering if what is happening is that you
get an error on a lookup and for the next 30 seconds you will continue
to get errors on lookup of that file - perhaps it is some sideeffect of
the kernels dentry caching & negative dentries).