[linux-cifs-client] Re: smbclient 8 times faster than cifs

Kenneth Porter shiva.blacklist at sewingwitch.com
Thu Dec 9 13:03:33 GMT 2004

Gorazd Golob <gorazdg at noviforum.si> wrote in
news:Pine.LNX.4.58.0412091317250.9673 at datsun.noviforum.si:

> Your kernel does not support forcedirectio option. Try new kernel from
> cifs kernel tree..

[ken at newred tmp]$ bk clone http://cifs.bkbits.net:8080/
http://cifs.bkbits.net:8080: Connection timed out

I haven't used BitKeeper before. (I'm normally a Subversion user/admin and
have admin'd other version control systems before.) Am I using this right?

I downloaded http://us1.samba.org/samba/ftp/cifs-cvs/cifs-1.20c-2.6.tar.gz
but that doesn't have the text "directio" anywhere in the source. But I
test-compiled it with:

cd /tmp
tar xvfz cifs-1.20c-2.6.tar.gz
cd /tmp/linux-2.6/fs/cifs
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.9-1.6_FC2/build M=`pwd` modules

Presumably given the right tree, I can just redo that and install the .ko
file in the right directory in /lib/modules. Anything else to worry about?