[linux-cifs-client] smbclient 8 times faster than cifs

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Tue Dec 7 17:28:10 GMT 2004

One quick thing to try when I post the slightly newer code is to mount
with the "direct" option on the client which will bypass the page cache.

I will need to look at why smbclient is much faster - off the top of my
head - the only reason I can think of larger read and write size - the 4K
page size caused by writing through the clients page cache made worse  by
serialized access.  I know how to address this but only part of the code
for it is checked in (but disabled) - fortunately mounting with the
"direct" option helps (at least in the path writing to the server).

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com

Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com>
Sent by: linux-cifs-client-bounces+sfrench=us.ibm.com at lists.samba.org
12/07/2004 07:44 AM

linux-cifs-client at lists.samba.org
cc

Subject
[linux-cifs-client] smbclient 8 times faster than cifs

I'm trying to get the connection to my Win2k box fast enough that I can
get
reasonable dump times for a large filesystem. Alas, smbfs gives me about
550 kBps, and cifs gives me about 1.25 MBps. Writing a 602 MByte file with

cifs takes 8 minutes. But with smbclient, I can copy the same file in
about
a minute. I get comparable times pulling the file from a smbd share on the

Linux side.

System is Fedora Core 2 with 2.6.9-1.6_FC2 kernel. modinfo cifs reports:

version:        1.20 BD05AA287A833DA8A57BDC6
vermagic:       2.6.9-1.6_FC2 686 REGPARM 4KSTACKS gcc-3.3

What can I look at to help bring cifs up to smbclient performance? What
debugging trace do you need?