[linux-cifs-client] Rudi's question about smbd/smbfs/cifsvfs

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Mon Dec 6 23:24:24 GMT 2004

How do I make sure the no. two (Kerberos required ) is disabled on my
WIN2K3 server??
The following URL found by googling for it looks like it should get you
close to the right place:
        http://www.its.caltech.edu/win/nwin2k.html
It describes the gui for changing the NTLMv2 configuration setting, but I
think the kerberos setting is adjacent
> Does smbfs (on FC1 - 2.4.22 kernel) support kerberos authentication?
I don't know if it can with the 2.4 smbfs code,  it probably can since
smbfs does not have security code in it and smbfs on 2.6 certainly can
work with kerberos authentication - but it is non-trivial to setup - and
it may need updated user space code (since all of its security code is in
samba client libs linked in to its mount helpers) - so basically smbfs can
do kerberos/spnego but only with reasonably current smbmount/smbmnt (from
Samba 3 or later), but be careful since if you build it by hand
smbmnt/smbmount is a little tricky to build with kerberos turned on (in my
experience) since it brings in dependencies on kerberos headers and is not
enabled  by default in Samba (client) configure script IIRC.  It may be
moot though, because in many real world cases in which kerberos is
configured to be required, smb/cifs packet signing is also required (which
smbfs can not support but cifs can).

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com