[linux-cifs-client] Rudi's question about smbd/smbfs/cifsvfs

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Fri Dec 3 21:28:13 GMT 2004

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 09:39:07PM +0100, Rudi Chiarito wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 01:33:06PM -0600, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
> > Have you been able to test against a Windows95 system in pass-through auth
> > mode?
>
> For what it's worth, Windows 2000 Server doesn't seem to mind cifs-vfs'
> old behaviour (in user mode) of sending the NTLM response in just one
> field.

I'm not sure what that says, though.

I think you're saying that W2K, when it's not a Domain member, will
correctly process the NTLM response against it's own local SAM database,
even if the ASCII password field is empty.  Yes?

W2K is a different codebase from W9x & ME.

> W95 hasn't been supported in a while; maybe I'd worry about W98.

I'm interested for academic reasons.  If W98 doesn't pass the NTLM
response from the CIFS VFS then we'd know the origin of the behavior of
smbd.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org