[linux-cifs-client] Re: CaseInsensitivePassword

Rudi Chiarito nutello at sweetness.com
Wed Dec 1 15:30:07 GMT 2004

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 01:16:36AM -0600, Steve French wrote:
> Does the attached patch fix your problem?  It seems harmless (if someone

Ugh, I'll have to rebuild a new kernel. By now I was hoping it was
actually a bug in smbd. ;)

I'll try it (it looks like a reverse patch, though) and let you know.

> optional, if there is a problem that it could cause).  It dups the 24
> byte NTLM hash in the lanman password field (I am very curious what
> windows client does when its registry is changed to only send ntlm too).

I set LMCompatibilityLevel to 2. The traffic doesn't look exactly the
same as cifsfs', because XP wraps everything in NTLMSSP requests, but
deep inside there I see both responses, 24 bytes each, with the same,
exact value. And smbd happily forwards *both* to the password server. So
I guess cifsfs was at fault.

If LMCompatibilityLevel is set to 0, the two responses are different.

--
Rudi