[linux-cifs-client] Re: CaseInsensitivePassword

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Wed Dec 1 06:52:10 GMT 2004

That makes sense looking at lib smclient connection code in the samba 3
tree.

Somewhat off topic - I notice that with one of my WindowsXP systems acting
as a server, I can never authenticate (from samba3.10pre smbclient, smbfs
or my cifs client with or without NTLMSSP extended security) as anything
other than guest.   Since it has service pack 2 on that system, and the
obvious issues (domain name, bad password) seem to have no effect - and I
can locally logon with those users - it got me thinking it must be related
to something in the new sp2 network setup wizard - the ominous warning it
gives about having to take a CD around to each machine in your network if
you want to use the network to that box.   Wonder what is going on here.
Surely there is a way to connect to XP as non-guest user -- "NET SESS"
shows the right username (ie running net sess on the server) but I am not
convinced it actually is authenticated as that user since it acts like
guest (and ethereal shows it as guest in the action field of SMB sesssetup
response).

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com

Rudi Chiarito <nutello at sweetness.com>
11/30/2004 11:48 PM

Steven French/Austin/IBM at IBMUS
cc
linux-cifs-client at lists.samba.org
Subject
Re: CaseInsensitivePassword

Little, but important correction: smbfs sends identical 24-byte
passwords only with client lanman auth = off. When it's on, the two
passwords/responses differ as expected. I'll check with an XP client.

--
Rudi