[linux-cifs-client] [Fwd: remoting flock over network]

Steve French smfltc at us.ibm.com
Tue Aug 31 19:53:45 GMT 2004

Comments anyone?

Seems like a regression that flock used to work over the network (in the
past flock was simply mapped onto fcntl) but does not since 2.something
kernel.

That any type of file locking would be for local apps only on Linux
seems odd - from even back in the DOS days I always thought of locking
as having value only/mainly when in a network with apps running on
multiple clients - if you only wanted to serialize locally - there are
plenty of other mechanisms that are more efficient.

But this does create problems for CIFS since we can not distinguish
among the three types of locks easily.