[linux-cifs-client] mount.cifs hangs everytime mounting an inexistant share is attempted

"Cristóvão B. B. Dalla Costa" cbraga at freedows.com
Fri Aug 27 14:42:42 GMT 2004

If I do:

mount.cifs //server/inexistant_share /mount/point

I'll get a rogue cifsd process in the machine which will suck 100% CPU
*and* a flood of packets will be sent to the server, basically taking
both machines off the network until the client is rebooted since even
kill -9 fails to get rid of the rogue cifsd process.

I'm using the latest iteration of the cifs code in a 2.4.22 kernel. Does
this also happen in kernel 2.6? I've reproduced this bug with samba
3.0.2, windows servers (nt4, 2000, 2003) and it happens every time.

Any ideas? Thanks.

--
Cristóvão Dalla Costa
cbraga at freedows.com