[linux-cifs-client] Re: cifs client bug?

Steve French smfrench at austin.rr.com
Sun Aug 22 15:22:34 GMT 2004

> After upgrade my FreeBSD samba server from 3.0.5 to 3.0.6,
> my cifs client on my linux box stop.

> My linux kernel is 2.6.8.1 and samba* rpms is 3.0.6.
> but when try access any file (cat grupos.conf) on mounted
> point (smbfs) on freebsd server (3.0.6), this connection freeze.
> If samba on freebsd is 3.0.5 work's normally.

To trace this you would normally -
1) look for logs of client errors in /var/log/messages in the client,
if you see no error there because the hang occurred before anything
were logged, then using crash dump or kernel debugger to determine
where the client is hung is an obvious option (I also typically
build the kernel with the kernel debugging memory and stack checks
and spinlock checks are on when debugging something like this
to try to ensure that the client is not using freed memory).

2) run tcpdump or ethereal on the server to trace the network
traffic so that we can see whether the server is waiting
for the client to send a new request or whether the client
is waiting for the server to send a response

Note that cifs and smbfs are different filesystems.  For most
purposes cifs vfs is preferable to smbfs on 2.6.6 and later
kernels. Does it work mounting to your Samba server with the
cifs vfs which is also included in 2.6? Rather than
mount -t smbfs, you would need to mount -t cifs

Could you post what happens when you try cifs vfs?