[linux-cifs-client] trouble accessing files named with accented characters

"Cristóvão B. B. Dalla Costa" cbraga at freedows.com
Fri Aug 20 14:17:19 GMT 2004

Steven French wrote:

> Four important questions -
>
> Is the server Unicode capable (e.g. Windows 2000 or later, Samba 3 or
> later)?

Yes. Samba 3.0.2.

> Are you trying to stat/open from a process with a different default
> code page than was the default on the process on the client that
> mounted the share (note that this can be overridden at mount time via
> specifying iocharset on the mount line if they were different)?

Not really, our systems use ISO-8859-1 globally (unless I'm missing
something...). I'm quite sure that all processes use the same codepages.

> Is there an NLS module for your codepage loaded on the client (it
> should happen automatically)?

# lsmod|grep nls
nls_iso8859-1           3484   1  (autoclean)

> Can you create any file/directory etc. from your client to the server
> with those characters (is the info getting lost in the mapping on the
> server) - and can you see the file on the server side?

I can only create such files over NFS; CIFS only allows me to stat() and
readdir() them. Anything involving open() and accented characters fails.
I was going to try mkdir but I can't seem to mount a world-writable
share as read-write.

# mount.cifs //router/wb /mnt/temp3 -o guest,uid=500,gid=500,rw

And I can't write to the share though samba exports it as public=yes,
writable=yes, only guest=yes.

> If you can use ethereal network analyzer you can probably display
> whether the Unicode path name looks ok on the wire for the open smb.
> To most servers (those which support Unicode) the cifs vfs will send
> pathnames translated from your client code page to Unicode. If the
> server is samba it is probably possible to disable Unicode on the
> server (in smb.conf, although I am not certain if it is possible) to
> see if it works with Unicode turned off.

OK, we're using samba 3.0.2 but disabling Unicode isn't really an option
because we'll have to deploy this solution to other customers who use
Windows servers we cannot control.

I'm attaching an ethereal network trace. I'm not sure what to make of
it, except that the filenames look the same in both cases. The traffic
was generated by running the following commands under a cifs-mounted path:

# ls áóúç.txt
áóúç.txt
# cat áóúç.txt
cat: áóúç.txt: Arquivo ou diretório não encontrado

Thanks.

--
Cristóvão Dalla Costa
cbraga at freedows.com