[linux-cifs-client] WebDAV vs CIFS

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Tue Aug 17 21:21:14 GMT 2004

WebDav is pretty slow if I remember correctly, but may be fine for your
use since the link is slow anyway so you might not notice.  .   CIFS
caching for oplocked (cached) files should be fine while the file is open
but it does not keep a files cached copy in a file on the client's disk
ala AFS (it instead it leverages the common Linux mm readahead/writebehind
caching which is in memory caching).   I didn't think that WebDav cached
safely (at least the Linux implementation) in any case so there may be
issues with shared read/write access to the same file.    The current
Linux CIFS implementation does not do offline file caching which might be
helpful in your slow link environment (AFS may be better than either
WebDav or CIFS if that is the key issue) although it ought to be able to
do cache across close (which would help your environment).

Since WebDav does not have an in-kernel filesystem implementation (at
least in Linux) there are quite a few semantic holes/problems that you run
into but they may not matter if all you are doing is simple file copy.

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com

"Juan Carlos Schroeder" <jcsc at adinet.com.uy>
Sent by: linux-cifs-client-bounces+sfrench=us.ibm.com at lists.samba.org
08/17/2004 12:57 AM

linux-cifs-client at lists.samba.org
cc

Subject
[linux-cifs-client] WebDAV vs CIFS

I would like to know opinions about whether CIFS is better than WebDAV,
specially having low bandwidth (eg: modem) connections.
Does current CIFS implementations have agressive caché use?

I've really not found comparisons between WebDAV and CIFS, so I ask here.

Thanks,
Juan Carlos