[linux-cifs-client] sym/hardlink error

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Tue Aug 17 19:49:42 GMT 2004

> It looks like I might have my samba 3.0.4 server misconfigured
> somehow if it's returning NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

Is widelinks configured in smb.conf on the samba server (also see the
smb.conf man page entry on wide links, which often need to be enabled in
order for symlinks to make any sense over the network).  This is
especially important if the symlink is to an absolute path.   CIFS
Symlinks in Samba were not very functional on older versions unless you
used relative path names.

As an experiment for hardlinks you can also try doing it the windows way
by turning off (echo 0 > /proc/fs/cifs/LinuxExtensionsEnabled) which is
also likely to fail but is worth a try.

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com