[linux-cifs-client] Re: mount a sub-directory

Steve French (IBM LTC) smfltc at us.ibm.com
Wed Aug 11 01:14:48 GMT 2004

The "device name" for cifs is \\server\share not \\server\share\path (NFS is one of
the few filesystems that allows such syntax).   To achieve the effect of mounting a
subdirectory, mount to \\server\share use the --bind option of mount to associate the
subdirectory with a different path.

This did expose a bug in Samba though ....

mount -t cifs //server/share1/share2 ...

ends up being treated by the server as a request to mount

mount -t cifs //server/share2  ...

which is incorrect and will usually fail.  This server bug is being fixed.