[linux-cifs-client] CIFS fixes for 2.4.x

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Tue Apr 27 04:26:49 GMT 2004

Sergey's excellent fixes for 2.4.x for the cifs vfs look good, and the
obscure mm explanations were helpful as well.   I have reviewed the three
smaller of them and added corresponding fixes into the cifsvfs directory in
the ever shrinking Samba CVS tree (much of Samba hosted source has been
converted to svn, but not the 2.4 cifs vfs repository) and will test them
tomorrow on my 2.4 test system.

I had missed Sergey's patches for a few weeks until I caught up.  With
SambaXP and then getting bogged down in 2.6 debugging I had ignored 2.4
notes for a few weeks, but as one might expect (at least in retrospect)
finding these notes earlier would have helped with 2.6 - a hard to debug
large file copy memory exhaustion problem that I was chasing in 2.6 looks
like it would be fixed for one of the three fixes from Sergey.   Another
thing to test tomorrow when I can add something similar to 2.6 (building
all of these kernels I ran out of having enough disk space on my home Linux
box to test large enough file copy).     Some reworking of the signal
handling (which is the patch I have not reviewed in detail yet) duplicates
changes that are already in the 2.6. cifs vfs

Felix's patch, although not quite in the right place, was helpful because
it did point to what looks like a problem with a backport of one of the 2.6
fixes to 2.4 (basically a patch which referenced a spinlock which changed
in 2.6 caused a 2.4 bug).   Something else to test.

I don't want to spend a lot of time on 2.4 but these fixes may be enough to
get the most current 2.4 version of cifs vfs (which is about 1.03) stable
again.

Thanks Felix and Sergey

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com