[linux-cifs-client] Re: RFC 1001/1002 support

Steve French smfltc at us.ibm.com
Mon Apr 26 17:37:27 GMT 2004

> All of that is stuff we'll have to handle if we create a NBT kernel
> module for Linux (a long term goal I'm working on with some Wine-folk

If you all propose an ioctl or /proc/fs calling interface, I would be
happy to add APIs callable from userspace apps.for the session service.
Security, and collisions with the kernel client have to be thought
through since there are some denials of service that can be possible
with this API..

There had been a mapping in various IBM operating systems from Sockets
API over Netbios frame protocol (and presumably could be done for
SocketsAPI over RFC1001) but I doubt that this is interesting anymore -
especially to Linux people anymore, but there might be a case for
another API mapping into kernel.

For the other services (other than the session service) ... The
register/unregister name (and the name service and datagram service API
in general) would be easy enough to add a piece at a time.

A header file, rfc1002pdu.h, is now in the kernel source to include the
definitions of the protocol data units for RFC1002 frames and commands
(although I have only included the session service for the moment). If
you don't want to put your code in the fs/cifs directory, we may want to
move that file and any other shared headers to the common include
directory.

As with many other parts of the kernel, getting the user space callable
API right is half the battle although in your case you may already have
what you want speced from the Wine team (in effect the Windows flavor of
the NCB API presumably)