[linux-cifs-client] RFC 1001/1002 support

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Mon Apr 26 04:17:48 GMT 2004

The version 1.10 of the cifs vfs (which is quite current and much improved)
has been merged into the mainline 2.6 kernel tree so will very likely be in
2.6.6.   There is one additional change that I have made since 1.10 that is
only in the project bk tree (bk://cifs.bkbits.net/linux-2.5cifs) - adding
partial support for RFC1001/1002.

Support for RFC1001/RFC1002 session_initialize had been requested by
multiple people, and is now implemented.   Although not full featured (e.g.
support for the optional "netbios scope" is not enabled), it does allow
connection over port 139 (not just 445) for servers that require the client
to send a RFC1001 session initialize.

Tomorrow I will add the code to allow the "netbiosname" mount parm to
override the default rfc1001 client name.   I also would like to know which
way of choosing a default netbios name would be preferred and no
netbiosname override is chosen (this only matters when port 139 is used, as
the more common port 445 connections does not use this and so port 139 is
typically only used if the firewall filters 445 or if port=139 is specified
on the mount)

1) first component of the client's tcp hostname (truncated to 15 bytes)
2) mac address of the interface (if I can find a way to request this
information from the kernel tcp stack)
3) a hardcoded name (e.g. "LINUX_CIFS_CLNT")
4) ip4 address of the interface  (e.g. "009.003.145.116") which is
conveniently 15 bytes already and is what server's already display when we
connect on port 445

Although currently it is hardcoded ala option 3, I prefer option 4

I also would like to know whether anyone requires the use of netbios_scope?

This change also means that I can test support against NT4 servers soon
(since this was an obstacle preventing connections to them)

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com