[linux-cifs-client] cifs vfs 0.9.9a for 2.4 released to web site

Steve French smfltc at us.ibm.com
Fri Dec 12 00:20:54 GMT 2003

I updated the web site to reflect the current 2.4 version of the cifs
vfs (0.9.9a) and if continued testing by the community goes reasonably
well will announce to freshmeat etc.

I also updated the mount helper in cvs and the one on the web site to
include the fix to allow mount suid but solving the user unmount problem
is harder.  I would like to use the /proc/mounts entry for the
mountpoint to be unmounted and look for a string like "mntuid=xx" as a
way of letting (the new) umount.cifs utility be able to check the
current uid vs. that of the user who mounted to that mount point.
umount.cifs would be optional of course - just for those who want to be
able to suid umount what they mounted.   I am not a big fan of ioctls
but if the approach to using /proc/mounts is a bad idea, I will probably
have to fall back to adding an ioctl for this.

A more pressing problem I would like to solve (suggestions would be VERY
welcome) is how to pass the mount return code back from the kernel on
failed mounts in 2.4 - it seems that my mount return code gets
overwritten by the kernel on the way out - I may be able to overwrite
the data area passed into with an "rc=xxx" text string - but I think
that that buffer is a dummy buffer too (not sure) so that might not do
any good either - that may be a case where an ioctl makes sense but it
looks odd (fortunately would only apply to 2.4) to use an ioctl to
retrieve "last mount return code" but the only other obvious alternative
is to put it in /proc/fs/cifs/<pid> but that looks even worse