[linux-cifs-client] truncated directory listings on 2.4 kernel

Luis Claudio R. Goncalves lclaudio at conectiva.com.br
Mon Dec 8 13:59:23 GMT 2003

Hello!

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 03:40:24PM -0600, Steve French wrote:
| I noticed truncated directory listings on 2.4.22 kernel with the cifs
| vfs for a directory larger than about 90 entries or so.  I rebuilt with
| some additional trace code (since the existing trace code showed no
| errors - I was adding a check to see if the kernel was returning a bad
| return code on fildir) and have been unable to reproduce the problem.  I
| have not seen this on 2.6 either. I had assumed that the kernel was out
| of memory and was failing when cifs_readdir called kernel routine
| filldir for the later entries.

In my tests, everything worked like a charm. I've used last cifs 2.4 cvs
code, kernel 2.4.21+patches and both samba 2.2.8 and samba 3.0.

Just for the record, there was a buglet in samba (2.2.2 or 2.2.3 I believe)
were samba was truncating dir listing.

| Has anyone seen missing directory entries? In the case of 90 entries in
| a directory only the first 37 were displayed by ls (all 90 were returned
| by the cifs vfs code), for 127 entries slightly fewer (about 31 were
| returned by ls).  Hasn't failed since.

I tested with 90, 91, 160 and 1600 files and directories.

[]'s
Luis
--
[ Luis Claudio R. Goncalves                  lclaudio at conectiva.com.br ]
[ Fingerprint:   4FDD B8C4 3C59 34BD 8BE9  2696 7203 D980 A448 C8F8    ]