[jcifs] Jcifs access does not work unless the user is a local admin

Mazhar Lateef mazhar at virtualcode.co.uk
Sun Jan 31 13:58:26 UTC 2016

Hi All,

I have a quick question I am hoping to get an answer for, so thank you for
taking the time in advance  I am trying to understand the reason for the
following case below.

A user with FULL read/write permissions to a UNC path is denied access when
the data is accessed using JCIFS - The only option to make it work seems to
be by making the user a local administrator or add to the local admin group
on the target server OR IF the user has other elevated permissions on the
remote server/domain.

If the user accessed the network path on windows prior to any changes in
permissions there is no issue with access and everything works as expected,
however if the same access is tried using JCIFS a user denied error is
thrown, unless the user is made a local admin or domain level access is
granted.

Is this normal? and what could be the reason for this?

Many Thanks in advance.

Mazhar