[jcifs] Query regarding the SMB support

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Thu Jan 21 20:10:36 UTC 2016

Fair Question.  :)

   1. It's amazingly easy to implement, once you know how to do it.
   2. To my knowledge, there isn't anyone who actually knows it better than
   me (which, in itself, has questionable value).
   3. It is *still in use*, even in Windows.
   4. Once you understand how it works, you realize that it can be very
   useful and even beneficial in an enterprise environment.
   5. Implementing it gave me a chance to get some code nailed down without
   spending a lot of time.

I think the core of NBT took me a weekend to write initially.  I've made
some updates and cleanups since then, but that's it.  You should be able to
build an NBNS or write code to probe the NBT LAN using the modules I've
finished.

SMB2 is more involved, and I don't get a lot of free coding time these
days.  I've been given the opportunity to write some worth-while code at
work, which leaves me less interested in coding in my free time.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org