[jcifs] java.io.IOException: Failed to establish session

M. D. moder at abv.bg
Thu Mar 12 03:12:00 MDT 2015

 Hello Adam, Mike, Everyone

Have you had any luck discovering the root cause for this issue?

I posted a few months ago on the mailing list. One of our customers suffers from exactly the same issue but we're currently not able to reproduce it on our side.
https://lists.samba.org/archive/jcifs/2014-October/010188.html
The same issue reported a long time ago by other users:
http://samba.2283325.n4.nabble.com/Failed-to-establish-session-td2512348.html#a2512349
http://samba.2283325.n4.nabble.com/IOException-at-ssn139-access-print-server-td4643959.html

I just dug up this thread and I see that you suffered from the same thing and you were able to debug it locally.
I know it was a long time ago but do you by any chance remember what was the OS of the server machine? Did you use NetBIOS with alternative names + Windows Server 2003 for the server? If that's the case then it might be related to:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940684

Also, do you remember any details about your environment in general? Any tips on how to reproduce that will be appreciated!

Best regards,
M.D.