[jcifs] Hung thread in SmbTree.java

Rich Hammond rich.hammond at vmturbo.com
Wed Feb 18 12:52:15 MST 2015

I tried to search the archives and I do not see this issue.  If there is another place I should search, please let me know.
I have a thread that has been hung for days at:

   java.lang.Thread.State: WAITING (on object monitor)

    at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)

    - waiting on <0x000000074edf9e60> (a jcifs.smb.SmbTransport)

    at java.lang.Object.wait(Object.java:503)

    at jcifs.smb.SmbTree.treeConnect(SmbTree.java:143)

    - locked <0x000000074edf9e60> (a jcifs.smb.SmbTransport)

    at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.doConnect(SmbFile.java:911)

    at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.connect(SmbFile.java:954)

    at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.connect0(SmbFile.java:880)

    at jcifs.smb.SmbFileInputStream.<init>(SmbFileInputStream.java:76)

    at jcifs.smb.SmbFileInputStream.<init>(SmbFileInputStream.java:65)

    at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.getInputStream(SmbFile.java:2844)

    at rpc.ncacn_np.RpcTransport.attach(RpcTransport.java:91)

    at rpc.Stub.attach(Stub.java:106)

    at rpc.Stub.call(Stub.java:110)

    at org.jinterop.winreg.smb.JIWinRegStub.winreg_OpenHKCR(JIWinRegStub.java:132)

    at org.jinterop.dcom.core.JIComServer.initialise(JIComServer.java:509)

    at org.jinterop.dcom.core.JIComServer.<init>(JIComServer.java:414)

Looking at the sources for SmbTree I have a couple questions:

  1.  In the treeConnect method why does the catch bother to call treeDisconnect?  The connectionState = 1 and treeDisconnect returns immediately in that case, so why bother calling at all?
  2.  Should not the rule be that anyplace that one sets connectionState = 0; you also call session.transport.notifyAll()?  Why doesn't the catch block have a notifyAll()?
  3.  Alternatively, treeDisconnect() could be:    void treeDisconnect( boolean inError ) {

synchronized (session.transport()) {

        if (connectionState == 2) {
            connectionState = 3; // disconnecting

            if (!inError && tid != 0) {
                try {
                    send( new SmbComTreeDisconnect(), null );
                } catch( SmbException se ) {
                    if (session.transport.log.level > 1) {
                        se.printStackTrace( session.transport.log );
                    }
                }
            }

        }
        inDfs = false;
        inDomainDfs = false;

        connectionState = 0;

        session.transport.notifyAll();
}
    }

This message and its attachments are intended only for the designated recipient(s). It may contain confidential or proprietary information and may be subject to legal or other confidentiality protections. If you are not a designated recipient, you may not review, copy or distribute this message. If you receive this in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you.