[jcifs] [bug] SmbFile.exists always return true

YLombardi ylombardi at geodisbm.com
Thu Apr 30 03:57:08 MDT 2015

I'm using jcifs-1.3.17 and SmbFile and I have a strange error. I create an
SmbFile from an address that doesn't exists but when I call the exists()
method on this SmbFile, it always return true.

Here is my code :

String address = "AFalseAddress";

    jcifs.Config.registerSmbURLHandler();
    NtlmPasswordAuthentication auth = null;
    try {
        auth = new
NtlmPasswordAuthentication("ADomainThatExists","AWrongLogin","AWrongPassword");
    } catch (Exception e) {
    }

    try {
        SmbFile smbFile = new SmbFile("smb:"+address,auth);
        if (smbFile.exists()) // Why is this true ???
            smbFile.delete();
    } catch (MalformedURLException e) {
    } catch (SmbException e) {
    }

I don't understand why smbfile.exists always return true even if the file
doesn't exist on the server.

Why have I this result ?