[jcifs] Bug report: Android apps get "wrong password" and are denied access

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 23:15:09 MDT 2015

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 7:13 PM, Olaf Marzocchi <lists at marzocchi.net> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I experienced an issue with basically every Android app I tried: when I log
> in the SMB server (kernel illumos, using kernel-cifs) I get “wrong password”
> error on the client and on the server logs.
> Most of the apps repeat this indefinitely, but “File Explorer HD” at the
> second attempt gets accepted.
>
> I reported the issue on the mailing list of my distro (OmniOS) and another
> user pointed me to these two links:
> https://lists.samba.org/archive/jcifs/2013-April/010064.html
> https://www.illumos.org/issues/3594
>
> Is anyone aware of the issue? given the wireshark capture, it looks like the
> issue is more on the jCIFS side. I think that the issue does not appear on
> servers running samba, but I cannot say whether samba is more tolerant than
> expected, or if illumos is not following correctly some protocol.
>
> Could someone give me some directions about a way to solve the issue, if
> possible on my side?

Hi Olaf,

If you send me the capture (do NOT post captures to the mailing list!)
directly, I will at least look at it.

My guess is illumos is using flags or flags2 or capabilities or
similar that is either invalid or they could be confusing JCIFS. But
that's a wild guess at this point.

And if you *really* want to get to the bottom of it quickly, get TWO
captures - one of Windows successfully authenticating with illumos and
one of JCIFS failing to do the same thing. If you get two clean
captures of those procedures, I can tell you the difference in 3
minutes (after waiting 30 days for me to notice you sent me the
captures :-)

Java Active Directory Integration