[jcifs] Problems authenticating to Mac OS X server

Trejkaz trejkaz at trypticon.org
Thu Nov 20 20:46:06 MST 2014

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 1:50 PM, Michael B Allen <ioplex at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Trejkaz,
>
> Try the machine name for the domain.
>
> Also try using a fully qualified DNS hostname instead of the IP.

I tried more combinations:
* short name for domain, IP for host
* short name for domain, short name for host
* short name for domain, full name for host
* full name for domain, short name for host
* full name for domain, full name for host

Seems like I get the same result using the fully qualified name. I
tried with the URL using the fully-qualified name as well as the IP
now I'm using it for both the URL and the authentication object. The
packets are a bit different - the domain is in the request now and the
response has some different IDs.

I see some activity in the server logs:

21/11/2014 2:25:52.837 pm digest-service[78918]: digest-request: uid=0
21/11/2014 2:25:52.837 pm digest-service[78918]: digest-request: init request
21/11/2014 2:25:52.841 pm digest-service[78918]: digest-request: init
return domain: BUCKET server: BUCKET indomain was: <NULL>

I get the same log entry irrespective of whether I put in an empty
string, the short name or the long name of the host as the domain, so
the system must be normalising it back to the short name.

I don't know if the "indomain" thing here being null is part of my
issue but at the moment it's the only lead I have to work with.

Daniel