[jcifs] jCIFS Project Activity

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Thu May 8 02:25:45 MDT 2014

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 8:54 PM, Neville Atkinson
<Neville.Atkinson at nzqa.govt.nz> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently evaluating jCIFS for use on a project, but we have a red-flag
> over the fact that there has been no release since late 2011.
>
> I was just wondering whether the project is still in active development, or
> has it become dormant?

Hi Neville,

JCIFS is actually a very solid codebase and it's used by many very big
companies in production. It's just so old that there's not much to do
anymore. JICFS is almost 15 years old! There are things that could be
done like Kerberos support and fixing DFS bugs. But these require
either significant refactoring (Kerberos) or they're difficult to
replicate (DFS bugs) so they have been pushed aside for now.

Also there has been no money for the last few years. Unlike most open
source projects, JCIFS development is largely for-pay only. This is
certainly a factor.

But if you find a bug or if you have a feature request, by all means,
please post it. I do maintain a detailed TODO list. As you can see I
only do emails once or twice a year but I will eventually respond.