[jcifs] JCIF and JCIF-ext: SMBException when calling user_management.netUserGetGroups on Win2008R2; Worked fine on Win20008

Shankar Ramachandran shanki.1107 at gmail.com
Mon May 5 22:19:44 MDT 2014

Hi all,

I am a newbie to LANMAN/NTLM and we have a legacy application whose
NTLMAuthentication providers authenticate local logins to the hosting
server through one of the web services (JBOSS).

On Windows the API uses the NTLM authentication method to authorize remote
logins to administrators to specific server functionality.

However we notice that the login doesn't work on Windows Server 2008R2. It
continues to work on Windows Server 2008 and 2003 without any problem.

On further investigating, I noticed that the API call

  final GroupUsersInfo[] ntlmGroups =
                   umgt.netUserGetGroups( authentication[0], 0 );

is the one that throws the exception below, while the SmbSession.logon()
method had suceeded.

*on Windows 2008R2*

Welcome to JCIF Tester to test NTLM API
Server to talk to: <hostname>

SMBException when attempting to authenticate
jcifs.smb.SmbException: 0xC00000BB
        at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.checkStatus(SmbTransport.java:563)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.send(SmbTransport.java:640)

        at jcifs.smb.SmbSession.send(SmbSession.java:238)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbTree.send(SmbTree.java:119)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.send(SmbFile.java:775)
        at jcifs.smb.Rap.call(Rap.java:47)
        at jcifs.rap.user.UserManagement.netUserGetGroups(UserManagement.java:82

)
        at testJCIF.JCIFTester.internalAuthenticate(JCIFTester.java:82)
        at testJCIF.JCIFTester.main(JCIFTester.java:35)

*on Windows 2008*

Welcome to JCIF Tester to test NTLM API
Server to talk to: vm123
Server called returned successfully

Note that this is still happening* even after performing steps to support
pass-through authentication, features using Local Policy changes on the
host, *hosting the server.

Links referred.

https://support.software.dell.com/kb/119536?utm_source=redirects&utm_medium=aquisition&utm_campaign=AppAssure_301_Support

http://developers.de/blogs/damir_dobric/archive/2009/08/16/enabling-of-ntlm-on-windows-7-and-windows-server-2008-r2.aspx
.

I appreciate any guidance on the issue as I am almost lost as to what else
could be blocking the authentications here. We are using jCIF 1.2.15 and
jcif-ext-0.9.4 jar for this. I was able to reproduce the behavior with a
Java same program also.

Thanks and Regards
With Regards
Shankar Ramachandran