[jcifs] Unable to connect after SMB server reboot

Brad Medinger BMedinger at linoma.com
Mon Jun 16 13:58:43 MDT 2014

I have been having an issue where JCIFS is unable to connect to various Windows 2003/2008R2/2012 SMB servers after a reboot of that server.  It will only be able to connect again after restarting the Java application that uses JCIFS or waiting a few hours for JCIFS to be able to connect to the server again.  During this time other clients are still able to connect to the recently rebooted server without issues.

I found an old issue that was very similar on the mailing list and they said setting "jcifs.smb.client.ssnLimit=1" fixed the issue.  I'm concerned about the possible performance degradation this could cause though, since we potentially could have multiple connections to the same servers every few minutes.  Is this a recommended solution to this issue or is there a better way?

JCIFS version: 1.3.17
Java Version: 1.6.0_38

Please let me know if any additional information is needed.

Thanks,
Brad