[jcifs] JCIFS WAN performance vs. Windows

Mark Falk mark at markfalk.com
Fri Dec 12 14:05:29 MST 2014

M. D. <moder <at> abv.bg> writes:

>  Hello Mark,
>
> We too are experiencing performance issues with NetApp Filer.
>
> We were thinking that it's because NetApp Filer has a crappy SMB 1
support and also because SMB 1 is slower by
> design but we might be wrong.
>
> Can you please tell me how do you know that your windows client is
using SMB1? Did you disable SMB 2 and 3? Did
> you restart after that?
>
> Best regards,
> M.D
>
>  >-------- Оригинално писмо --------
>  >От:  Mark Falk
>  >Относно: [jcifs] JCIFS WAN performance vs. Windows
>  >До: jcifs <at> lists.samba.org
>  >Изпратено на: Четвъртък, 2014, Декември 11 03:00:54 EET
>  >
>  >
>  >I'm working on a project which is using JCIFS to copy a single 40 MB
file
>  >across a WAN with 70ms latency. The server is a NetApp Filer. I've
tweaked
>  >about every parameter I can, but I can't get above 4 Mbps on Linux,
>  >whereas using a simple copy command on a Windows 2008R2 client I'm
seeing
>  >30 Mbps. Both are using SMB 1.0. I've upped the MPX count and
snd_buf_size
>  >to match Windows.
>  >
>  >Linux command line:
>  >/usr/local/java/jdk_8u5_x64/bin/java -classpath
./jcifs_1.3.17/jcifs-
>  >1.3.17.jar:. -Djcifs.smb.client.snd_buf_size=33028 -
>  >Djcifs.smb.client.maxMpxCount=50 -Djcifs.util.loglevel=3 -
>  >Djcifs.resolveOrder=DNS -Djcifs.smb.client.dfs.disabled=true
TestJavaCopy
>  >
>  >Graphs:
>  >JCIFS:
>  >http://i.imgur.com/Zl386qK.png
>  >
>  >Native 2008R2 client using "copy \\UNCPATH :":
>  >http://i.imgur.com/MIFcr39.png
>  >
>  >Any thoughts?  Packet details available upon request.
>  >
>  >Thanks,
>  >Mark
>  >
>  >

I confirmed it by looking at the network trace. I had another server
where I could see it was using SMB2. There are registry settings to
disable SMB 2 and 3, but in this case I didn't touch those.

Mark